Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm so tripped out on jazz these days. Went out and bought three CD's yesterday, 2 Coltrane CD's (Soultrane and Bluenote) and Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby. Waltz for Debby was actually a recommendation by the HMV music clerk (buy two stickered CDs for only HKD 150) and upon auditioning it, found it to my liking.

I knew that Bill Evans worked with the Miles Davis sextet sometime I think in the early 60s and I knew he worked on Kind of Blue, which is a fuckin' awesome album. But apart from that, I knew nothing about him or his trio.

The quality of the album was a bit grainy for me (although it actually was a remastered copy), but it'll do. Not like I'm complaining about quality when it comes to old jazz records. Hell, I've even bought a super noisy CD by Art Tatum , which was forgivable given that the recording was made in the 1930's (by noisy, I mean lots of hiss and cracks). It actually makes sense for me, as listening to it gives me a feel that I'm using an old gramophone player.

The Coltrane records, on the other hand were epic. I got to listen to them full while at work today. Not the ideal time or place to space out on jazz, but it did fine (If you're wondering, the ideal setting for a jazz trip out is with a good book and tea, in an airconditioned room). Coltrane really is putanginang' galing.

With these purchases, I decided to hold out on Friday Night in San Francisco by Al Dimeola, John Mclaughlin and Paco de Lucia. I have an unplayable ripped copy of that CD, and although I really really wanted to make that purchase, I figured that I still have most tracks memorized on my mind. So I can actually play tracks from it anytime I want to. It can store a bazillion songs and I can play it anytime, anyday. Even when swimming.

So yeah, my head is better than an iPod. Fuck the iPod, my brain rules!

No comments: